Combination death pool and MLB trivia

kane

EOG master
I can't recall his name, but there was a pitcher who flew his plane into a building, I believe he played for the Yankees

Valuist

EOG Master
The above are all correct. I saw an article today that listed a number of others, including Luis Valbuena, Jose Lima and Joe Kennedy. Not to mention a recent one; Tyler Skaggs.

Valuist

EOG Master
Is it any surprise that everyone's favorite dysfunctional MLB franchise, the Angels, have 3 players on that list?

Crazy Pete

EOG Addicted
Is it any surprise that everyone's favorite dysfunctional MLB franchise, the Angels, have 3 players on that list?

This gives me an excuse to post one that is kind of obscure, but I vividly remember it as an Angels fan from the 1970’s-
California Angel Mike Miley. Killed in a solo car crash in his early 20s.
Maybe more famous as LSU’s starting quarterback.

skinny

EOG Addicted
Moose is more famous for throwing the wild pitch that enabled the Reds to beat the Pirates in the deciding game of the 1972 NLCS.
I was a 12 year old kid who had tickets to game 1 of the world series in my hand when moose uncorked that wild pitch.
I was sick.

ouch

EOG Dedicated
I was a 12 year old kid who had tickets to game 1 of the world series in my hand when moose uncorked that wild pitch.
I was sick.

I felt your pain from that game. I was a huge Pirates fan growing up, and that 71-72 team was my favorite of all time in any sport. I remember when Bench hit the home run off Giusti to start the bottom of the 9th, and how I felt sick to my stomach as that inning went along. I could barely function the day after that game. Never felt that way about a sporting event again. Just awful!

But not as bad as what happened on December 31st of that same year.

skinny

EOG Addicted
I felt your pain from that game. I was a huge Pirates fan growing up, and that 71-72 team was my favorite of all time in any sport. I remember when Bench hit the home run off Giusti to start the bottom of the 9th, and how I felt sick to my stomach as that inning went along. I could barely function the day after that game. Never felt that way about a sporting event again. Just awful!

But not as bad as what happened on December 31st of that same year.
That's right, the last pitch of Roberto clemente's career was that wild pitch.
He also got hit number 3000 on the next to last game of the regular season.

Eerie stuff

Heim

EOG Master
This gives me an excuse to post one that is kind of obscure, but I vividly remember it as an Angels fan from the 1970’s-
California Angel Mike Miley. Killed in a solo car crash in his early 20s.
Maybe more famous as LSU’s starting quarterback.

Forgot about him. He was a promising shortstop.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
and another Halo pitcher Nick Adenhart killed by a drunk driver.

I went to the game that night. My friend worked for the Angels and back then they gave away LOADS of tickets so Arte could say they drew 3M. Conservatively they gave away 300,000 tickets for a good 5 year run. Took the entire office that day. Saw him pitch. Then the next day...................BTW - Raji Davis was the last hitter he faced

railbird

EOG Master
I went to the game that night. My friend worked for the Angels and back then they gave away LOADS of tickets so Arte could say they drew 3M. Conservatively they gave away 300,000 tickets for a good 5 year run. Took the entire office that day. Saw him pitch. Then the next day...................BTW - Raji Davis was the last hitter he faced
i miss those free tickets, orangewood boys club got 100 every game, more ofthen than not they ended up in my hands