Fo Fo Fo

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
I am sure we all think of Moses Malone in 1983 when asked how many games it would take to win each series he said: Fo Fo Fo. He was not that far off. Sixers only lost 1 game - to the Milwaukee Bucks in the ECF.

But that is not what this is about.

In this case: Fo Fo Fo relates to: April 4, 2004. This was the day of my worst-ever gambling beat. One that still stings today:

April 4, 2004. Luc Robitaille's last NHL game.

Kings had lost 10 straight. This was a 100% meaningless game for San Jose. I had Kings +0.5 +140 for the game (games could end tied back then).

Kings up 3-1 LATE in 3P. Luc takes a penalty at 18:42. San Jose scores with 20 second left (actually - 19.7 - I know I was watching) with the goalie pulled - a 6-on-4 goal. San Jose keeps the goalie out and sets a team record for fastest 2 goals in a game scoring with 2.3 seconds left sending the game to OT 4-4.

I am STILL OK - a TIE and I STILL cash my bet. But I knew how the game would end so I couldn't watch and sure enough 3:10 into OT Vincent Damphousse ends it

I am UP 3-1 with UNDER 25 seconds left. AND getting Half a Goal. And I STILL lost the bet. I watched it at my parents' house. I sat in front of the TV for a good 30+ minutes w/o moving or saying a word. By far my most brutal beat ever. Hard to top that

Here is regulation:

And here is the winner:

kane

EOG master
I've had too many brutal beats to even begin to post about, but I'll post one, two words, Belk Bowl, if you know, you know

skinny

EOG Addicted
I've had too many brutal beats to even begin to post about, but I'll post one, two words, Belk Bowl, if you know, you know
I bet Duke three times at plus13, plus12, and plus 11.
Without question one of the worst of all time.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Here's the bad beat that sticks with me:

It's hard to remember details of lucky wins but nobody forgets the details of a bad beat.

I once heard it said the key to a bad beat story is the money behind the bet.

The more desperate the bet, the more tragic the story.

I bet UNDER 266.5 in the 1993 NBA All-Star game.

The game was a dead UNDER but went to overtime.

The score at the end of regulation was tied at 119.

The two teams combined for 29 points in the five-minute OT.

NBC showed the final of 135-130 in favor of the West.

Many sports books posted the final score as the betting result.

HOWEVER, the refs believed Scottie Pippen was fouled on a 3-point shot attempt as the buzzer sounded.

They went to replay, I think, and asked Pippen to return to the court and shoot three free throws which NBC cameras did not cover.

He made two of three free throws and the game went OVER the total with the West winning by the new score of 135-132.

Details not confirmed but that's my best recollection.

Last edited:

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
winky, that's a nasty loss so hard to set up for another goal like that. Phew

I was watching at home and it took a good hour to move after it

In 2 weeks, my biggest and luckiest win. More on that when that day comes.

kane

EOG master
My brother rarely bets hockey, one time he had an Under, the losing team pulled their goalie and the other team scored an empty netter with one tenth of a second left, it was so close they reviewed it, and sure enough the puck completely crosses the line with 0.1 on the clock, it was the last hockey bet he's ever made