Where does Dirk land on the all time greats list?

KingRevolver

Born Rambler
Re: Where does Dirk land on the all time greats list?

Anywhere between 75 to 100... the NBA has their greatest 50 players... and Dirk doesn't belong in there, IMO.

career not over yet. He is better than some in the top 50 for certain though. He wins a ring this year and he goes into the top 30 without a doubt.

barely in the top 100 is a comical answer.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

I dislike one-way players.

The big German doesn't influence the game on the defensive end.

He has a shooting coach, but where is his defensive coach?

If we're talking all-time, I could name 100 players better than Dirk.

? he doesn't rebound? 8.4 for his career so far isn't to awful for the one way player.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Top 100....at best...
Huh?

King I got to disagree with you as well.

Dirk > Unseld
Dirk > Bill Walton

Bill Walton is funny to me, but all the old timers argue because he was a great pure basketball player. He was GREAT in college, but he barely played in the NBA. He played a little over the equivalent of 5 seasons in his NBA career, and he wasn't even productive in those seasons - he had one great playoff run.

There are more top 50 I'd take Dirk over as well. Worthy? Hal Greer? Plenty of names on there that Dirk has out performed.

Dirk is a top 50 player IMO, and the greatest international player the game has seen.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Go ahead - I can't wait to see your list.

He's a 7 footer, and he is a very good defensive rebounder (which is a part of defense). He's not a banger, but he's not a poor defender by any means IMO.

royboy

EOG Dedicated

Sorry, but you can't. Dirk is an average defensive player, not horrible. And is one of the most unique offensive players ever, this postseason run he's had is incredible.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Huh?

Dirk > Unseld
Dirk > Bill Walton

Bill Walton is funny to me, but all the old timers argue because he was a great pure basketball player. He was GREAT in college, but he barely played in the NBA. He played a little over the equivalent of 5 seasons in his NBA career, and he wasn't even productive in those seasons - he had one great playoff run and season.

There are more top 50 I'd take Dirk over as well. Worthy? Hal Greer? Plenty of names on there that Dirk has out performed.

Dirk is a top 50 player IMO, and the greatest international player the game has seen.
Thought I wrote that originally, then though I edited it. Nah well.

IrishTim

EOG Dedicated

Kobe is also a one-way player.

KingRevolver

Born Rambler

I forgot about Bill Walton. He was worthless, and I have no idea why they decided to put him in there. He had like what- three good seasons?

Career NBA statistics

Points 6,215
FG% 52.1
Blocks 1,034

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

When does Kobe do anything but force contested fadeaways over a double team?
Tim, you talk as if that was how Kobe played his entire career. The guy scored 81 points in a NBA basketball game.

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master

Huh?

Dirk > Unseld
Dirk > Bill Walton

Bill Walton is funny to me, but all the old timers argue because he was a great pure basketball player. He was GREAT in college, but he barely played in the NBA. He played a little over the equivalent of 5 seasons in his NBA career, and he wasn't even productive in those seasons - he had one great playoff run.

Give me Akeem and Steve Nash over Dirk for international stars...

FISHHEAD

EOG Master

Think of all the CELTICS players in history better than DIRK.............amazing.

Hell, at least three on one team........

BIRD
MCHALE
PARRISH

DENNIS JOHNSON??

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Give me Akeem and Steve Nash over Dirk for international stars...
The dream is an argument I'd hear, and wouldn't argue with much. Hakeem is a bit different because he ended up playing college ball in America - Dirk is a true international player who was drafted from the international ranks.

To be honest, I think I'd agree with you that Hakeem is better than Dirk but I classify him slightly different than I do Dirk. Hakeem was toughened up and coached by college coaches in this country - Dirk was a Euro who got drafted w/o any American basketball experience.

Steve Nash though? I hope you're joking. You rip Dirk for being a one way player but Steve Nash is one of the most worthless defenders in the league. When they were on the same team, Dirk was the best player. Nash is the worst MVP winner in league history. Nash is a very good player, but he's not better than Dirk - he's also Canadian for god sakes.

Mammon

EOG Master

Greer was the man. Time to brush up here.

JAKEPEAVY21

EOG Dedicated

The dream is an argument I'd hear, and wouldn't argue with much. Hakeem is a bit different because he ended up playing college ball in America - Dirk is a true international player who was drafted from the international ranks.

To be honest, I think I'd agree with you that Hakeem is better than Dirk but I classify him slightly different than I do Dirk. Hakeem was toughened up and coached by college coaches in this country - Dirk was a Euro who got drafted w/o any American basketball experience.

Steve Nash though? I hope you're joking. You rip Dirk for being a one way player but Steve Nash is one of the most worthless defenders in the league. When they were on the same team, Dirk was the best player. Nash is the worst MVP winner in league history. Nash is a very good player, but he's not better than Dirk - he's also Canadian for god sakes.

agree on both counts

So far, it has been 1 superstar vs. 2.65 superstars, and the series is tied 2-2.

I think this Dirk guy is pretty good.

royboy

EOG Dedicated

Think of all the CELTICS players in history better than DIRK.............amazing.

BIRD
MCHALE
PARRISH

DENNIS JOHNSON??

bird absolutely and i'd listen to an argument with mchale, the other two??? :LMAO:LMAO:LMAO

Chessman

EOG Dedicated

Top 15. Easily. And if he were black this wouldn't even be questioned.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

BIRD
MCHALE
PARRISH

DENNIS JOHNSON??

Larry Bird is better than Dirk?

Cmon, you can't believe that.

Chessman

EOG Dedicated

If you're telling me you would take Parrish over Dirk, I'm not sure what I can even say to help you. No offense, Fish, but come on!

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

One of the main goals (besides winning titles) is to place the ball into the hole. The guys who place that ball into the hole the most, are the best. Am i right about this? Isnt the goal of the game to score the basketball for the most part? I know its not ALL of the game, but its a fairly important thing.....if you look at the list of all time leading scorers, you'll see some of the all time greats among that list. The top 20 scorers of all time are some of the 20 best players of all time, its not a coincidence that these top 20 scorers are also considered 20 of the best ever to play.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

FK, you're so simple it scares me at times.

Bill Russell is a top 10 player and he didn't score 20 points a game - just to name one.

You also have been hyping the Miami Heat all year, and now Dallas wins a couple games and you're hyping Dallas? You are like an ESPN drone that registers at forums and speaks brainwashed mumble-jumble over and over again.

Seymour

EOG Dedicated

bird absolutely and i'd listen to an argument with mchale, the other two??? :LMAO:LMAO:LMAO

Right - DJ? Chief? Hahaha

Oh yeah, Dirk is the 2nd best PF after duncan