What NFL Team Had The Best Defense Of All Time?

MIKEH75

EOG Dedicated
<TABLE class=standard_table cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2 width=370 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR class=major_header><TD colSpan=5>How the Steelers' defense measures up with
top-ranked, Super Bowl-winning defenses (since 1970)</TD></TR><TR><TH align=middle>Team</TH><TH align=middle>Pts/G</TH><TH align=middle>Overall (YPG)</TH><TH align=middle>Rush (YPG)</TH><TH align=middle>Pass (YPG)</TH></TR><TR class=whiteback><TD>2008 Steelers</TD><TD>1st (13.7)</TD><TD>1st (239.1)</TD><TD>2nd (75.8)</TD><TD>1st (163.3)</TD></TR><TR class=ltblueback><TD>2002 Buccaneers</TD><TD>1st (12.2)</TD><TD>1st (252.8)</TD><TD>5th (97.1)</TD><TD>1st (155.6)</TD></TR><TR class=whiteback><TD>2000 Ravens</TD><TD>1st (10.3)</TD><TD>2nd (238.3)</TD><TD>1st (60.6)</TD><TD>8th (187.3)</TD></TR><TR class=ltblueback><TD>1996 Packers</TD><TD>1st (13.1)</TD><TD>1st (259.8)</TD><TD>4th (88.5)</TD><TD>1st (171.2)</TD></TR><TR class=whiteback><TD>1992 Cowboys</TD><TD>5th (15.2)</TD><TD>1st (245.7)</TD><TD>1st (77.8)</TD><TD>5th (167.9)</TD></TR><TR class=ltblueback><TD>1985 Bears</TD><TD>1st (12.4)</TD><TD>1st (258.4)</TD><TD>1st (82.4)</TD><TD>3rd (176.0)</TD></TR><TR class=whiteback><TD>1977 Cowboys</TD><TD>8th (15.1)</TD><TD>1st (229.5)</TD><TD>3rd (117.9)</TD><TD>2nd (111.6)</TD></TR><TR class=ltblueback><TD>1974 Steelers</TD><TD>2nd (13.5)</TD><TD>1st (219.6)</TD><TD>6th (114.9)</TD><TD>1st (104.7)</TD></TR><TR class=whiteback><TD>1972 Dolphins</TD><TD>1st (12.2)</TD><TD>1st (235.5)</TD><TD>3rd (110.6)</TD><TD>5th (124.9)</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

MIKEH75

EOG Dedicated
Re: What NFL Team Had The Best Defense Of All Time?

i'd have to vote the 1985 chicago bears the best defense of all time.i watched every game that season and they killed.

1985 Bears get my vote. 2000 Ravens an honorable mention.

MIKEH75

EOG Dedicated

i just noticed those 2008 steelers defensive stats and i'm starting to let it sink in that the titans are going to have a very physical day ahead come sunday.

Journeyman

EOG Master

Why the Ravens were slighly better, they had a bad offense on top of everything else.

They still gave up the least points (10 PPG allowed) of all the great defensive teams, and just 60 yards rushing per game allowed, '85 Bears, 82 yards rushing allowed.

The '85 Bears are the most well known because of all the national media hype which they deserved, the Ravens were a slightly better D.

Except for the Miami game, that '85 Bears D was damn near perfect

Timetopay

EOG Master

Journey you are just wrong here

1985 Bears: 6 (Richard Dent, Otis Wilson, Dan Hampton, Steve Mcmichael, Dave Duerson, and Mike Singletary)

2000 Ravens: 3 (Rod Woodson, Ray Lewis and Sam Adams)

64.0 sacks, 34 Ints Bears
35.0 sacks, 23 ints Ravens

Bears 85 Playoffs 3.3 points a game 2 shutouts
Ravens 00 Playoffs 5.2 points a game 0 shutouts

First Half of 85 SuperBowl -19 yards for Pats

Journeyman

EOG Master

What are you highlighting players for? I already said the 85 Bears were much better known nationally.

The Bears post season opponents that yr were pretty crappy.

0 shutouts? The Giants scored a special teams touchdown , that was it....complete domination. '85 New England may have been the worst Super Bowl team ever.

The Ravens played their post season games on the road, @ Tenn and @ Oakland vs two excellent offensive teams.

You actually have a sports opinion TTP?

Journeyman

EOG Master

sacks mean nothing.... if you understood football , which you obviously do not.

The Ravens scheme is not to get sacks, the Ravens are NOT a sacking team, that is not their defensive philosphy .

The Ravens again this year just have around 30 sacks, where Dallas has like 55 sacks, their defensive is not built to sack the QB, someday I will teach you what matters, I don't have time right now.

Journeyman

EOG Master

Ravens beat Oakland in the AFC championship game at Oak. Oak avg 30 PPG , scored 3, Tenn avg PPG, 21, they scored 10 points ...both these games were on the road, and the Giants scored on a kick return, otherwise they scored nothing.

The Ravens defense was more impressive because they had very little offense, they didn't have McMahon, Payton and Gault.

Journeyman

EOG Master

Steel Curtain of the 70's enought said. Almost a decade of dominance.

absolutely, if you're talking about for the long haul.

1976 is arguably their greatest defense.

28 points the final 10 games of 1976.:+whipping

kid44

EOG Dedicated

I wonder who 5star will say. I could never book that bet.

High Times

EOG Master

Tough 1

The Steeler teams from the 70's I think was the better defense overall.

The Bears defense was helped by the horrible teams they played all year and the first time they played a good offense with a great QB they were destroyed.

The Ravens are the closest thing to the Steeler teams of the 70's. They were just down right brutal.

The 72 Dolphins were also a super great defense as they almost became the only team in Super Bowl history to record a shutout (stupid FG kicker) and was a machine all year.

Even the 70 Cowboys could be considered with these other defense's. They were awesome in their own right.

:pop:

akillies

EOG Veteran

baltimore had the best d ever, but it was the baltimore colts of 67-68